- Whenever people ask who or what inspires me, I sort of divide it up into three sources: Keira Knightley, fashion blogs and hobbits. Yes, you read that right. I have this strange habit of constantly buying or loving items of clothing which look like something Frodo would trek across Middle Earth wearing. I mean, I love Lord of the Rings, but this is just taking that a little too far. It's totally unintentional, too! Keira has always been an over-all inspiration of mine and whenever I see pieces that remind me of things that she has worn in candids, I automatically want them. Fashiontoast has been my favourite fashion blog for years; Rumi dresses like I would if I had the money. I also love beautycrush's style and she is the only guru I still watch on YouTube. Oh! and I take a lot of inspiration from Free People's blog.
- As a quick side-note, I don't wear that much make-up. If I was better at applying it and maybe if I wasn't so pale, I'd probably wear more eyeliner, because I love how it looks when applied right. But pretty much all of my make-up is MAC, which is not too cheap and not too expensive. I don't wear foundation, just some concealer and tinted moisturizer. I used to wear a lot of lipstick, but now I only do when I actually do something interesting. Also, Rosebud Salve is magical. I'll just throw in this note about my hair, too: I'm a natural blonde, I get my hair dyed at the salon I've gone to my whole life and say "Jen, make it bright red, please" and she does her very best. It's also naturally straight, but I'd been perming it since I was twelve. So now it doesn't know what it's meant to do.
- Back to clothes. Basically all of my shoes are either boots or heals. I own a pair of black and white Converse's from long, long ago but never really wear them. I don't like flip-flops at all and I was so annoyed when I had to buy a pair last year to wear in the residence hall showers. I am just perfectly happy wearing my beautiful All Saints boots, which were a very generous Christmas gift from my mother this past year, super old We Who See heeled boots or one of my other pairs.
- If I could, I'd shop at Free People, All Saints and a little Anthropology. However, I get most of my clothes from the $10 or less sales rack at Urban Outfitters (finding good things there is like a game to me). Very occasionally I get clothes at Target, Forever 21, thrift stores, et cetera, but I don't really shop as much as I did when I was in my early teens and I'm still relatively the same size, so I don't need too much. Also, I'm cheap. And broke. It's a good mix.
- I am still wearing the same pair of jeans I bought when I was about 13. Well, not right now. But you get the point. They are from Urban Outfitters (go figure) and there is a part so worn on the butt that I worry at any day that they it will wear away. But I just do not like wearing jeans and so they aren't worn too often.
- The person who invents indestructible, or unsnaggable, black tights will be my hero. I go through at least a pair every two months, if not more. My favourites are DKNY, they are $11 at Nordstrom and pretty good. Also, occasionally my mom buys me Spanx and those are amazing, but too expensive for me to buy myself.
- I really love the idea of tshirts and own way too many (like, I have a whole drawer at my parents house filled with novelty, Harry Potter, event, etc tshirts). But I almost never wear them. I've essentially cut myself off. I even resisted buying this baby from Comicon. Now that is self-restraint.
- I've been in love with maxi-dresses forever and recently found one that ACTUALLY looks good on me. It's glorious.
- About 85% of my wardrobe is black.
- I do not have my ears pierced. When I was younger, it was because I had a petrifying fear of needles that was so strong the word sent me into minor panic attacks (this actually only faded away about two years ago - I think it was all of the television because those babies are everywhere.) Then as I got older, it was because everyone wanted me to and that is no fun at all. Now, it's mostly due to the fact that I'm too lazy to clean them and I would spend way too much money on earrings. I have been given a few lovely dangling pairs in the past (these and these, for instance) and have converted them into clip-ons, but those hurt so I don't wear them too often.
- I love asymmetrical clothing. It makes me really happy for some reason.
- I'm a sucker for sheer clothing.
- Most of my wardrobe is useless in the summer; too many bulky sweaters and knee-high socks.
- My favourite designers are Alexander Wang, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Chloe. Favourite models are Lily Cole, Vlada Roslyakova and Chanel Iman.
- Size means nothing almost nothing to me. The sizes of my clothes are all over the place. Some large, small, extra large, medium, it's weird. I just never wear the right size of anything, really.
- My essentials/favourites: black tights, black shorts from American Apparel to go under skirts, baggy tops, oddly shaped sweaters that are almost wider than they are long, interlock miniskirts, tall socks of any colour/material, weird dresses, aforementioned combat boots, ponchos and wraps instead of jackets or coats.
- Ponchos. I am developing a collection and I cannot stop. I just love them so much.
- I recently got my first pair of Toms. Previously, I was never really a fan because they didn't look comfortable and freaking EVERYONE at my school has them and basically thinks they are saving the world every time they put them on. However, I was totally wrong about that first notion and while I am definitely right about the second, I just ignore it. I quite like them and they have elephants. So that's nice. And I'm happy to support a good cause. Not sure if they are worth the slightly painful amount of money ($50 for casual shoes? I'm cheap), but telling myself I actually bought two pairs helps a bit.
Flights taken: 10.
Films watched in April: 15.